Teacher shortage: 24 students, 5 languages, 1 ELL teacher
By the numbers: Arizona teacher shortage
- 22 percent of teachers hired between 2013 and 2015 were not teaching in Arizona after one year.
- 42 percent of Arizona teachers hired in 2013 left the profession within three years.
- 52 percent of Arizona charter school teachers hired in 2013 left within three years.
- More than one-third of Arizona teachers have been in the classroom for four years or less.
- When adjusted for cost of living, Arizona elementary school teacher pay is the lowest in the nation. The pay for Arizona high school teachers ranks 49th in the U.S.