Posted: June 21, 2021
Please reply by: July 9, 2021
ENCUENTRO is seeking experienced online instructors to teach ESL/ESOL (English-as-a-Second-Language/English for Speakers of Other Languages) & Citizenship to adults,
July 2021 – May 2022, with the possibility of continued employment beyond 2022.
Encuentro’s mission is to engage with the Latino immigrant community through educational opportunities that build skills necessary for individual and community transformation as well as economic and social justice. Through our classes, Encuentro strives to provide adult learners not only a gateway to personal advancement, but also to citizen engagement and social action.
Encuentro seeks experienced adult education instructors with a proven history of effective teaching both in person and virtually, and a strong commitment to immigrant and social justice. Requirements include:
• Strong skills in teaching speaking, listening, reading and writing to adults who speak other languages;
• Minimum of two years’ experience teaching ESL/ESOL to adults;
• Ability and willingness to integrate civics education and community engagement opportunities into ES(O)L instructional plans;
• Ability to integrate workforce development skills into ES(O)L instructional plans;
• Familiarity with Latino/a immigrant population;
• Experience or familiarity with liberation pedagogies of concientización, participatory education and social analysis;
• Ability to adapt and respond to changing program and adult learners’ needs;
• Ability to work with other instructors, facilitators and local organization partners as needed for effective programmatic integration;
• Ability and willingness to keep accurate electronic records as needed for effective goal-setting and evaluation with adult students as well as for reporting to funders;
• Willingness to participate in occasional virtual trainings, workshops and meetings;
• Comfortable communicating in Spanish.
• Ability to use video conferencing platforms and communication systems such as Google Meet, Zoom and WhatsApp.
• Ability to use Google Apps such as: google classroom, google sheets, google slides, google docs.
• Access to reliable internet, lap top or desktop and smart phone.
• Formal education in teaching (BA/BS/MA/MEd);
• Flexible schedule;
• Passionate about social justice and willingness to engage in Encuentro-sponsored community events;
• Excited by the challenges and opportunities of a grassroots organization integrating adult learning with community organizing.
• Excited by the opportunities of virtual and hybrid teaching models in adult education.
Class description, teaching schedule and pay:
ENCUENTRO classes are currently online and meet for 1 hour and 15 minutes on Google Meet, twice-weekly. In addition, teachers are expected to plan for 2 hours of student’s asynchronous work using Google Classroom, email and/or WhatsApp. We plan to transition to a hybrid model in the Spring semester.
This post is for one ESL/ESOL class and two CITIZENSHIP classes, with the following ESL levels and schedule:
1. ESL BEGGINER LEVEL: Monday & Wednesday 9:00-10:15 am
2. CITIZENSHIP BEGGINER ESL LEVEL: Monday & Wednesday 6:00-7:15 pm
3. CITIZENSHIP INTERMEDIATE-ADVANCED ESL LEVEL: Wednesday 6:00-7:15 pm & Saturday 9:00-10:15 am
The employment contract runs from July 18, 2021- May 28th, 2022 (except holidays & break 12/17/2021- 01/10/2022), with the possibility of extending beyond 2022. The academic year comprises 40 weeks of instruction with 21 weeks in the fall and 19 in the spring. This post requires 29-hour commitment per week for the three classes (for 1 class it’s 12-hour weekly commitment). ENCUENTRO offers a competitive hourly rate of $21.50/ hour. Teacher weekly activities include facilitation of the synchronous classes; curriculum development and planning; asynchronous student communication and feedback; occasional meetings and professional development activities.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS: 5:00 PM, FRIDAY, JULY 9, 2021***
INTERESTED PERSONS SHOULD SEND ELECTRONICALLY:
• Brief cover letter highlighting relevant experience and education
• Resume, and
• 1 Sample lesson plan appropriate for an online ESL beginner level class for adults
• 1 sample lesson plan appropriate for an online Citizenship class for adults
to: Teresa Guevara, Director of Educational Programs
*** Candidates will be contacted on the week of July 12 to set up an interview; interviews will be scheduled from July 12-16. Candidates MUST submit sample lesson plan to be considered for an interview. Contact Teresa Guevara via email (above) with any questions about sample lesson plan, interview scheduling, or other concerns.